A Roman road passed through Cawston. In the 1950's this ancient way was clearly visible on Cawston Heath and the neighbouring fields opposite Botany Bay Farm, running westwards towards the Holt-Norwich road. Aerial photographs show the road nearer Cawston, continuing past the south of Cawston Wood to Booton and Reepham. In 1953 a group of students excavated a section of the road on Marsham Heath, it was found to be about 5 metres wide, and composed of five alternative layers of gravel and flint stones. The crop-marks referred to above, near to a Known Roman road, suggest that there may have been one or more Roman Villas near our village.